Here’s a video walkthru explaining the repair and recovery of a water damaged iPhone 6S.
- As with most water damaged devices, the phone shows no signs of life.
- Investigation showed the power consumption was like that of a short circuit, upon disassembly, the main power rail “PP_VCC_Main” was fully shorted to ground.
- The phone’s PCB board was ultrasonically cleaned. Testing then began to discover the source of the short.
- A large amount of corrosion in one particular area of the PCB gives a good indication of where the fault might be located.
- Injecting power into the shorted line forces voltage through it allowing the faulty component(s) to reveal itself.
- A broken capacitor is found which was preventing the VCC_Main line working.
- Its removal allows the water damaged phone to be booted long enough for the data to be extracted.