Nearly everyone has an external or USB hard drive these days – they are great for data portability and backup but do occasionally break down. Here are some of the enquiries regarding data recovery from external hard drives we’ve received recently. If you have a problem similar to any of those described below you can find further information on our external hard drive recovery page.
- No access to files, it is an samsung external hard drive was fine , now says requires formatting, which I have not done!
- Hard drive powers up, but no access can be obtained to data held on drive. Local pc support company looked at it but could not get it to run.
- I have a 750GB 5400RPM SATA 6Gbps 2.5-inch External Hard Drive Mfr P/N 0PJGMP which is not accessible, I have taken it out of the laptop and attached a SATA adaptor to usb and it doesn’t find it. There is a faint buzzing sound when powered up. Could you quote please to look at this and retrieve files.
- Secondary Data drive began to show signs of failing, bad sectors detected when running a health check, able to copy some data from the drive before machine crashed and now wont show up in windows explorer. Does show in Disk manager but as uninitialised. Would like personal files recovered if possible, can you cost this for me please?
- Does not even respond when plugged in to the computer – wondering if wire or connection point is faulty?
- I have an external hard drive that no longer works. It is now not recognised by the laptop when I plug it in, so I cannot access any of my files stored on it. It makes a whirring sound but doesn’t do anything else. I can’t recall dropping it or causing any damage to it. If I can remember correctly, the drive itself came out of an old laptop when the laptop stopped working. So I bought a casing for it and turned it into an external hard drive instead, which worked fine for a few years! Please can you advise whether you can take a look? I live near Huntingdon so I think I may need to post it to one of your locations?
- Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac, 6 months old working fine. Now appears as ‘external drive’ on My Computer. Not accessible/corrupted. Tried different port, cable, other machine same result.
- The hard drive has stopped working and there are 20 years worth of photo’s that I am desperate to recover. If this is a service that you can provide please contact me to advise a price and discuss.
- I have a g-technology external hard drive USB 3.0, travelling back from Geneva yesterday I stupidly left the cable plugged into the device, it must have taken a knock and its ripped the SS-usb port from the circuit board of the drive. is this something you would be able to repair or recover the data on.
- Faulty hard drive. Won’t let me open files
- Seagate 2Tb external backup drive. Not dropped but making ‘musical/ticking’ noise as per your descriptive text. Mac will not recognise the drive.
- My hard drive broke a month ago, I was recovering my laptop with it and it fell on the floor. It stopped reading because the needle got stuck. So I’m wondering if I can get my data back with your help.
- Netgear stora ms2110 – no matter how i set set, or flash cannot access disks….i have x 2 removable hard disks in stora, one is Raid. can you advise regarding your services?
> Go to our main hard drive recovery page.