Welcome to Data Clinic’s regularly updated Help and Advice section. Here we discuss and provide links to various different types of hard drive problem and what can be done about them. Take a look below and see if you can find a problem similar to yours. If you can, great! – if you can’t, use the form to your right to contact us and tell us more about the issues you are having.
Further down this page we discuss current known issues with particular hard drives in the marketplace and have links to some case studies of recent RAID and server recovery work we have completed.
- To find our more about our services and capabilities, click on Data Recovery Services from the main menu above.
- To find your local Data Clinic lab go here: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/dataclinic-locations/
Help and Advice
- Aug 2017: Advice regarding unresponsive hard drives and phones: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/help-unresponsive-harddrive-phone/
- July 2017: Unrecognised hard drives and phones and what to do about them: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/help-hard-drives-and-phones-not-recognised/
- July 2017 – Broken iPhone and Samsung S6 smartphones plus a WD My Passport that is no longer responding: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-qa-july-2017-part-1/
- June 2017 – A hard drive with bad media/SMART failure and another one with a “click of death”: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-qa-june-2017-part-2/
- June 2017 – Common faults and data recovery enquiries on HTC, iPhone, Samsung, Nokia and Sony smart phones: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/phone-data-recovery/
- May 2017 – Discusses 4 common types of hard drive fault, diagnosis and recovery options: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/4-common-hard-drive-faults/
- Apr 2017 – Data Recovery Q&A Pt 2 – Retrieving files from an HP Proliant, an SSD and an iPhone stuck on the Apple logo: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-qa-april-2017-pt-2/
- Apr 2017 – Data Recovery Q&A Pt 1 – Answers to several data recovery questions: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/april-2017-qa-part-1/
- Mar 2017 – How much does data recovery cost?: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/how-much-does-data-recovery-cost/
- Mar 2017 Pt1 – Help with a problematic iMac, a beeping hard drive and a Samsung S6, plus more: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/march-2017-data-recovery-qa-part-1/
- Feb 2017, Hard drive and phone recovery Q&A – a BIG post – perhaps you have a similar problem to these?: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-qa-feb-2017-pt-1/
- Jan 2017 Pt2, Help with RAW file systems, dropped external hard drives and a LaCie FW800 running RAID 5: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-drive-help-and-advice-jan-2017-part-2/
- Jan 2017 Pt1, Recovering data from Samsung S2 and Nexus 4 phones, plus CCTV recovery from a Floureon system: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-help-and-advice-pt1-jan-2017/
- Dec 2016 Pt2, Christmas and New Year opening times: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/christmas-new-year-opening-times-2016/
- Dec 2016 Pt1, G-Technology NAS with undetected drives, recovering deleted Whatsapp and SMS texts, and retrieving data from a Sun Microsystems RAID 5 server: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-help-and-advice-december-2016-part-1/
- Nov 2016 Pt2, The pitfalls of using a data recovery program that overwrites data!: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery-help-advice-november-2016/
- Nov 2016 P1, The dangers to data of using a warranty repair service and Easy Recovery software: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/beware-of-warranty-repairs-and-data-recovery-software/
- Oct 2016 Pt3, A selection of enquiries regarding retrieving the data from faulty phones and hard drives: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/problems-requiring-data-recovery/
- Oct 2016 Pt2, Free data recovery evaluations, phones with cracked screens, hard drives that won’t copy data: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-drive-phones-qa/
- Oct 2016 Pt1, Is it possible to recover data from a hard drive with a scratched surface?: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/scratched-hard-drive/
- Sept 2016 Pt2, Various types of phone fault and data recovery options: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/phone-recovery-questions-help-and-advice/
- Sep 2016 Pt1, Data loss after an upgrade to Windows 10, and a hard bricked Samsung Galaxy S5: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/help-with-data-loss/
- Aug 2016 Pt3, Is is possible to recover files and folders after a factory reset ?: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/how-does-a-factory-reset-affect-your-data-files/
- Aug 2016 Pt2, Hard drive dropped – now hums, beeps and is unresponsive: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/humming-beeping-hard-drives-not-recognised/
- Aug 2016 Pt1, An iPhone with the ‘red screen of death’ and an unresponsive SSD: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/help-and-advice-ssds-and-iphones/
- July 2016 Pt2, Various phone problems – Help and advice: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/phone-data-recovery-example-enquries/
- July 2016 Pt1, Problems on Samsung EVO 840 series SSD hard drives: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/samsung-evo-840-ssd-faults-beware/
- June 2016 Pt3, Data Recovery from External Hard Drives – Help and Advice: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/external-hard-drive-data-recovery-help-and-advice/
- June 2016 Pt2, A dropped Western Digital Ultra hard drive, and WhatsApp/SMS message retrieval for use in court: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/help-advice-dropped-wd-passport-and-recovering-smswhatsapp-texts/
- June 2016 Pt1, Data recovery advice for owners of LG G4 smartphones that are failing to boot: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/lg-g4-smartphone-failed-not-booting/
> For more Help and Advice pages go to The Archive
Known Issues & Case Studies
As the UK’s largest data recovery company we see lots of broken hard drives, servers and mobile phones that come in for recovery each week. Because we see so many faulty data storage devices, we are often aware of apparent problems early and in addition to documenting them, can identify ways to get around these problems and recover the data. Historically, Data Clinic were one of the first companies in the world to discover the firmware fault on the Seagate 7200.11 series of hard drives, and the serious Fujitsu MPG firmware fault several years before that.
On this page we’ve highlighted a few of the recent known issues we’ve seen with some current hard drives, as well as some interesting RAID and NAS data recovery case studies.
Current Known Issues (Spring / Summer 2016)
- Data loss problems on Samsung EVO SSD hard drives
- Western Digital Drives with USB interfaces on the hard drive’s motherboard
- Problems noticed with Seagate STxxxxDM001 series hard drives
- Issues with current Z7K500 series Hitachi/HGST hard drives
- Picture loss when upgrading Mac iPhoto and Photo Libraries.
> Information Link: Why It’s Not Possible to Repair A Faulty Hard Drive
RAID and NAS Data Recovery Case Studies (Spring / Summer 2016)
Due to it’s complexities, RAID and NAS devices provide some of the most interesting and challenging data recovery work that we do.
Samsung SRD-1670D CCTV Recovery (Ok, so this is a CCTV case study !)
Thecus N7700 RAID 6 NAS
Netgear 4 disk NAS
Netgear server running RAID 5
Seagate 6 disk RAID 5 NAS
HP Proliant ML370 Series RAID 5
Dell Poweredge MD1000 series RAID 5
Dell FreeNAS 6 Disk RAID 0 running ZFS
Information Link: Three Tips To Avoid Data Loss When Your RAID / NAS / Server Fails
As we are adding information to this site all the time we have developed an archive area that contains lots of useful links to articles we’ve written since 2002.
The archive contains both recent and older information on all aspects of hard drives and recovery that we don’t have room for elsewhere on the site.
Go to The Archive.